! STOP BENDING NOW !

Sunday 8 October 2017

Umno Welfare Bureau undertakes to pay for operation of 15-year-old with C-shaped spine : Malaysia

 Fifteen-year-old Nur Humaira Shakirin who suffers from severe scoliosis (spinal deformation) can look forward to a brighter future after the Umno Welfare Bureau came to her aid.
Unlike some teenagers who have a S-shaped spine, Nur Humaira’s spine was C-shaped.
Her parents noticed her deformity in December 2016 after she complained of back pain.
“I used to be an active person and enjoyed playing netball, especially as the goal attacker. I was an active sportswoman in school.
“But ever since I was diagnosed with severe scoliosis, my parents have stopped me from playing over concerns that it will worsen my condition.
“I want to enjoy playing games but I can only watch my friends play during physical education lessons,” the form three student from SMK Datuk Bendahara told reporters here.
Nur Humaira was present with her parents at the Melaka Umno Office in Jalan Hang Tuah here to receive aid from the Malaysia Umno Welfare Bureau.
Nur Humaira’s mother, Mazlina Abdul Majid, 45, said her daughter’s condition worsened after the spine curved more than 60 degrees although it was 45 degrees earlier this year.
“She was not born with spinal deformity, so we did not suspect anything amiss when she had fever in December 2015.
“But a year later, she complained of back pain very often, and told me that she could feel something protruding from the back,” she said.
Nur Humaira was taken to the Jasin Hospital before she was referred to the Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (HUKM).
“The X-ray results were shocking as we did not expect her spine to curve this way.
“The doctor advised an immediate surgery or else it may affect her heart and lungs,” she said.


Nur Humaira was present with her parents at the Melaka Umno Office in Jalan Hang Tuah here to receive aid from the Malaysia Umno Welfare Bureau. 
Today Nur Humaira was given a second chance to be active in sports again, thanks to the Malaysia Umno Welfare Bureau here.
She was given RM30,000 to purchase equipment as well assurance that the cost of surgery, medical expenses and accommodation would be covered.
Nur Humaira’s father, Shamsudin bin Mat Cha, 48, who received the cheque from Umno Welfare Bureau chairman, Datuk Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah, said he was thankful for the aid.
“I am only working at the Jasin Municipal Council with a montly salary of RM1,500. My wife and I have calculated that the total cost would be RM150,000.
“We are grateful for the aid given by the Umno Welfare Bureau. My wife is a housewife while my eldest son has yet to find a job."
Meanwhile, Shamsul expressed hope that the aid would help ease the family's financial burden.
“I hope Nur Humairi can focus on her studies as the Form Three Assesment (PT3) examination is around the corner as we have assured her that she will be able to go for the surgery on Oct 21,” he said.



Source : New Strait Times , 27th Sep 2017 

No comments:

Post a Comment