! STOP BENDING NOW !

Sunday 3 May 2015

Exercise routine transform life for King’s Lynn scoliosis patient


Megan Rivera ANL-150423-152133001




Yoga enthusiast Megan Rivera, 20, from Lynn, has made a dramatic recovery from the crippling pain of scoliosis without the need for an op.

She adopted an exercise routine which has drastically changed her prognosis.
Megan had always been very fit and active throughout her life until she started to suffer from severe pain and found sitting at her desk at work almost unbearable.
It was shortly after the pain started that Megan was diagnosed with scoliosis; a severe spinal deformity. From this point, her life spiralled out of control and often left her curled up in bed or collapsed in a heap due to the excruciating pain. Within months, Megan went from being a fit and healthy woman with bags of energy, to behaving like an 80 year old woman. She had to give up yoga and it looked like her condition was rapidly getting worse.
She said: “My whole world was rocked when I was diagnosed, I have never felt so alone and for the first time in my whole life I started to feel very self conscious and started avoiding the swimming pool and practising yoga because I didn’t want people to see my back and judge me. It really was a very sad time of my life.”
Scoliosis causes the spine to excessively curve sideways. The major operation involves metal rods being inserted either side of the spine, before the spine is fused solid.
But Megan discovered a treatment offered by London clinic Scoliosis SOS and within four weeks found herself on the road to recovery.
Megan said: “I am so happy, it is remarkable how far I have come. I was in constant pain on a daily basis and my whole world had fallen apart. I lost interest in everything and I had no quality of life at all.
“I am self employed and my work really suffered, I was getting extremely concerned about where all of this was going to end.
Megan learnt a set of exercises which strengthened the muscles surrounding her spine and meant that her scoliosis stabilised.
She also made huge improvements to her cosmetic appearance and realised that her condition was not going to ruin her life if she 
kept it under control.
Megan felt a massive sense of relief that she was not going to have to have major surgery, she knew that the recovery would be long and painful especially at her age and she knew that if there was an alternative it was definitely worth a try.


Since completing a course of ScolioGold treatment, Megan has returned home and has been able to swim and practice yoga for the first time in months. She has regained all of her confidence and has bounced back to her normal fit and sociable self.
loved the gym and tried to swim or play some sort of sport everyday up until her health deteriorated; not only did she lose her health and flexibility with this new condition, she also lost a huge amount of her confidence and eventually found herself very distanced from her social group.
Her work suffered terribly as she was unable to concentrate and often found herself getting up every few minutes to try and alleviate her pain.
Megan said: “My work was suffering and this made me panic, which led to me being unable to sleep. Which obviously overall made the whole problem 10 times worse. I felt like everything was spiralling out of control. I became really emotional and would burst into tears over the smallest of problems.”
It was around this time that she found herself searching through reams of information on the Internet. Often the information she read increased her feelings of hopelessness and left her feeling lost and devastated by what this condition had taken from her. This was until she came across Scoliosis SOS and for the first time in ages, she saw a glimmer of hope for the future.




Source: Lynn News , 25th April 2015 

1 comment: